Saturday, June 26, 2010

Went to the hospital and almost saw Christ...

ha ok, ok I'll explain... before you start thinking I've had a 'divine' experience.

I'll start way back with last night.
I went out with the French crew again, and was enormously pleased I decided to tough it out to have the experiences that I did.
We hung out at this one particularly hip place for a bit, and people watched. I tried to savour the moment and the visuals of the crowd - drunk, rowdy Brazilian women, sophisticated young men eyeing up the available talent, openly affectionate lovers, the warm night air, the smiles and the easiness of it all.

Then we headed to a very memorable restaurant - a champagne bar of sorts. The French guys knew someone who worked there and we sat on a balcony, sipping delicious champagne for a couple of hours. It was glorious.

I knew the alcohol probably wouldn't be the best for my throat, but I decided it was worth the risk.

In the morning, I woke, drenched in sweat and it hit me hard: whether it was the alcohol's fault or not, I was worse. Waaay worse. Like oh my gosh get me to a doctor. Now.

I sat there for a minute, freaking out. 'Everyone is still sleeping. I don't want to have to bother Ingo [the volunteer co-ordinator]. I don't want to make a big scene. I hate going to the doctor at the best of times, and going in Brazil?' Plus, I'm ultra cheap and the thought of throwing down a bunch of money for medical services was not very appealing.

And then I thought, 'Claire, you are a big girl. Get a hold of yourself. Get up. Wash your face and go over there and wake him up. It's not the end of the world'

So I did. And we went. And it cost 300 Real but praise the Lord, I should be fine within a week. I just have really infected (gross, I know) tonsils and with regularly taking the anti-biotics I bought, I will be healthy in no time.

I know for a fact that it's the placebo effect, but I think I feel better already. Simply knowing that I have the ingredients to make myself well, makes me feel happy and lighthearted.
I think that's why I had such fun with the French crew today, even though we had a major disappointment.

And my major disappointment, I mean we arrived 5 minutes before closing to see the massive Christ statue, but they had closed the ticket window. We had spent loads of cash on getting a taxi there and it was lost...
I mainly felt bad for them because they have to leave soon, whereas I hopefully will have a chance to see it before I come home.

I will post more later... with pictures too. My camera needs to charge : )





1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are feeling better!
    I'd say the money was well worth it if it put your mind at ease. How much is stress worth exactly?

    That sucks that you missed getting in to see the statue, but at least you are remembering that it isn't what you set out to see or do that matters, it is the journey getting there and those you spend it with. Those memories will stay with you forever!

    ReplyDelete