Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A day at the nursery...





Today I went and volunteered with a different project, a community centre that takes care of babies and toddlers. There were only 8 or so children today though, because most of the parents who normally drop off their kids were hung over from partying (due to the big Brazil soccer game).

Then, in the afternoon, Evan (an American volunteer) and I went to a different community centre and taught some English to a bunch of little girls. We came up with lessons on the spur of the moment. : )

Highlights:
- reading books in Portuguese to a little boy. I wonder if he actually knew what I was saying...

- walking up these GIGANTIC hills to get to the favelas and down to the buses.

-making myself a huge and healthy dinner, bought fresh from the local supermarket. I felt like a local.

- skyping with my Mom and sister and Leah

And then two tidbits of interesting information regarding life in Rio:
- If you want to take the bus in some parts of town, you don't need to find a bus stop. You just stand on the street, wherever, and wave it down. It felt slightly strange, the first time, getting this huge bus to stop for only Evan and I as we stood on a random street corner.

-Everyone drives here like it's the movie Italian Job or Fast and the Furious. Even the buses. I swear we have whipped down cobbled back streets at like 80 to 100 kilometres per hour. If a bus drove like that in Vancouver, I would pretty much assume the driver had a death wish.

That's it for now : ) Thanks for reading...

And Danielle... here's a picture of my room just for you! The other pictures are: me reading a book in Portuguese, Evan playing soccer with a kid who was waiting for his turn to be cleaned (we shower and feed each child one at a time), and one of those friggin hills we trekked. I'm not tilting my camera one bit. Ugh.



2 comments:

  1. Evan looks like nice company :)

    That hill looks CRAZY Claire! Before you know it you will be running up and down for fitness and you will come back a tank. You shall be my leg twin!
    I love that you post pictures, it really helps visualize your daily life and I love that we get to see the children/people that you are working with.
    Your driving story is hysterical! I relayed it to everyone in my office and they enjoyed it too!

    I hope to chat with you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and Claire - what are those two things in the last picture that look like boobs?

    ReplyDelete