Sunday, June 20, 2010

It was the best of times and the worst of times...


Yesterday turned out to be quite an interesting day, one that was filled with unadulterated fun and real frustration.

I'll explain: long story short - I had a perfect beach day morning, had a blast watching Toy Story 3 with Timothy and Ange and Tonya (another volunteer) at the movie theatres, then realized my purse had been lost/stolen, then frantically searching for 2 hours, then going through the process of cancelling my credit card, ordering a new one, and then mustering up energy to go out, and in the end having probably the best night out so far.

Summing up my day brutally minimizes the emotions and intensity I felt, so I'll pick out certain highlights that I think I will remember years to come...

- Playing in the clear blue ocean and getting thrown around by the current

- People watching on the beach and feeling immersed in a new cultural experience. All the men actually do wear those tiny booty swimming shorts. ha!

- Meeting a group of Brazilian/American guys

- Being so touched by one scene in Toy Story that I almost teared up. Oh and I watched the entire movie in dubbed Portuguese. I felt proud to understand the majority of it. ok ok I know it's a kid's movie, but still! I've learned a lot, in a short amount of time : )

- But then, forgetting any words in Portuguese I know to try and explain to the movie theatre staff that my bag was missing. ( I had tucked it under my seat, and when I walked out I realized I'd forgot it, so I went back to get it, and it was gone already.) I felt lost - thank goodness Angie, my room mate came with me to explain.

- Realizing that it was only money and my credit card gone. I could have been much, much worse.

- and lastly, going out with Dani and Rachel to this fairly exclusive restaurant, and having the best night ever. I was so glad I got to experience this 'other' side of Brazilian culture, one of wealth and distinction and taste. Rio is such an unusual city, and I've never seen the blatant mix of poverty and wealth so openly before. It makes me appreciate Vancouver, that's for sure. Oh and there was this one American/Brazilian guy....

; )

3 comments:

  1. Claire, the title of your post reminded me of this song!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7zQwBlMHo
    You have such an optimistic view on everything... a rare gift! Hold on to that!
    Amanda xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire!
    Oh no!
    That sucks that you lost your purse! That means that you HAVE to buy an authentic Brazilian purse to replace it.
    I agree with Mands, that you are very optimistic!
    I'm glad that you went to Toy Story with Timothy! However, you did not post any pictures of him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT I FORGOT TO ASK ABOUT THE BRAZILIAN/AMERICAN GUY!!!!
    Do tell...

    ReplyDelete