Thursday, June 17, 2010

Best Day Yet!/ The "Fixer"


Oh my gosh today was unreal. I honestly can't sum up the 'amazingness' in one short blog but I'll give it a go (as my wonderful British/Australian companions would say)...

- Dani, Stephanie (who is a new volunteer) and I painted walls in the favela this morning. I was the translator and we happened to make friends with this group of pre-teen girls watching us. I think the moment they decided they liked us was when I could sing Justin Bieber's song "Baby, Baby" along with them. They bought us a can of Coke to share. It felt pretty neat, that connection and friendship we made, through something as ridiculous as Bieber Fever.

- Playing with the children again this afternoon at my regular project. Like Dani said, you leave the project as though you are filled up. It's hard to explain - the joy these children possess is contagious and you can't help but feeling a 'high'. It's absolutely exhausting and yet so incredibly worth it.

-Meeting up with Guto!! Long story short: he's a relative of a woman I work with in Canada, and she got me connected with him so I could know a local in case of an emergency.
I had hoped that he would be willing to show me around but I didn't want to expect much from him. That's why I was really pleased when he said he would pick me up tonight. And the best part- Not only did he take me to the mall to get a dictionary, he got dinner for us (thank you again!) and then he sat with me as I used his phone to call my credit card company to make sure it would work here (I forgot to let my bank know I was in Brazil. oops.).
He was like my personal Brazilian "fixer"!

Another full day tomorrow. I'm dead tired but happier than I've been in a long time. : )

Goodnight!


2 comments:

  1. WHO IS THAT MANMEAT?
    WHY HAVE I NOT GONE TO BRAZIL?
    THERE ARE PEOPLE THERE WHO ARE AS GOOD LOOKING AS ME AND YET I HAVE NOT BEFRIENDED THEM!
    I was yelling just then.

    Glad you are having a good time Claire, and feeling happy that you've solved some dilemmas!

    That said, I am sick to my stomach to hear that you know lyrics to Jason Beaver. What is wrong with you? It is nauseating that you've actually bonded with people over this sick fact. You need help.

    Did I tell you about the time that the son of our driver in Thailand insisted on playing his burnt cd which consisted of 6 Jason Beaver songs and four Taylor Swift songs and then a few that weren't English. Terrible. The longest two hours of my life. It got worse when the cd then began replaying...
    I lost a little part of my soul on that trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.... so scary about the credit card thing! I can't believe that happened! It seems as though you are definately having to learn the ups and downs of traveling and how to get through it!

    Your brazilian man friend looks so jolly! He makes me feel happy just looking at him! Haha.... have you gone out in the evenings with him or just explored that one day!? I bet hanging out with a local at night would be a much different experience!

    Ugh!!! The recess bell just went, I want to keep writing you but I have to run!

    I absolutely love that you are posting everyday, I so look forward to my recess brea everyday so I can read about what's going on in your traveling life!

    So much love to you! Can we talk or skype at some poiint?!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete