Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday Memorable Moments


-Attending a traditional Baptist church service at this ancient, massive, white pillared church downtown. I was introduced to the congregation, around 800 people, as the special Canadian vistor. Basically, that meant people had a license to stare.

-I had a personal translator for the whole service, which made things much more enjoyable. (The only downside was that I couldn’t zone out parts of the sermon like I normally do -hey! everyone does! - because she was whispering English in my ear constantly).

-I was taken out for lunch by the main pastor and his American wife, Peggy, to a local restaurant. I particularly liked the “cheese balls” and the freshly squeezed limeade.
-Being driven home and seeing all the decorations for the World Cup soccer.

-And making myself dinner tonight. Even though I had to contend with mosquitos and a lack of measuring cups, it turned out alright.

And lastly, here are 2 funny things I learned today:
1.When it’s too cold out, many people don’t come to church, as was the case this morning. It was 20 degrees Celsius. HA!
2.I asked Peggy why I heard fireworks last night, and she responded, “Oh no reason really. Everyone just likes fireworks”. Whaaat? So random! She explained that it’s not uncommon to hear fireworks everyday - I’ve already heard 2 bangs this afternoon.

Ok that’s it for now. The real stuff starts tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. THAT IS HILARIOUS!
    You've admitted to zoning out during church time.
    I want to know what you made for dinner?
    I like that fireworks are not necessarily needed to celebrate anything in particular. It reminds me of "Happy Tuesday" cakes.
    You need to light some fireworks off right now in celebration.
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete