Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A run, the sun, the sea, goodbyes



I was anticipating today and I wasn't disappointed.

I managed to get up early at 7:15, and went for a long run at Flamengo beach (the closest one to my guesthouse). I am not normally a 'morning person' but after falling asleep at 9pm the night before, I was ready for some action.

I particularly enjoyed feeling like a local - jogging along with hundreds of other Brazilians, in the soft morning sunlight.

Then, I met up with Rachel and Dani and we slowly made it to Ipanema Beach. We found Haley and James and I finally got to swim for a while. Every other time I've been to the beach I have been wearing makeup, preventing me from swimming with my head under because mascara and contacts don't mix well. This time though, I planned ahead, and didn't wear any mascara. It was superb. The water is fairly warm and exceptionally clean and the waves are a lot of fun to play in. Yes, that's right, I said play. Whatever! I hope never to be too old to be able to frolic in the sea : )

We all stayed at the beach until it was time for Rachel to go, as she is flying home this evening. It was sad, having to see her off. It's funny how attached you can be with someone you've only just met a couple of weeks ago.

Anyways, highlights of today:

- sitting at Big Nectar, waiting for Dani and Rach, and having a little conversation with a pre-teen girl waiting for her Mom. My Portuguese may be limited, but it's still workable.

- recognizing people on the streets. I had this one really nice waiter at a restaurant stop and say hello to me this morning, because he remembered me. The friendliness of the people is unbelievable.

- buying sunglasses from a vendor on the beach and managing to haggle down the price. I never usually have the guts to do that!

Photos above: of Rachel : ) "It's good, but it's bad, you know"




1 comment:

  1. Hopefully your new friends will come to visit you in the future! The best part about traveling and making new friends. You always have somewhere to stay when you visit!

    ReplyDelete